Grow your own Avocados
Who doesn’t love a good avocado these days. Smeared on a bagel with a drizzle of olive oil and crumbles of feta. Mmmmmm. But who loves paying $5 for one? Not us.
So why don’t you try growing your own avocado tree and never run out of one of the most popular green delicacies? Many of our franchisees enjoy running their own avocado orchards when they’re not behind the mower. (YouTube link here)
So here we have created your easy, how-to-guide for growing your own avo tree.
- When you next eat an avocado, keep a hold of the big seed inside. Wash it and then pierce it with 3 toothpicks evenly around the seed.
- Fill a glass with water. Next place the avocado on top of the glass so that half of the seed is in water, and the other half above water (this is where those toothpicks work well).
- Now place this glass in a warm area that’s out of direct sunlight.
- The next stage is waiting. Generally roots and a stem start showing in about 2-6 weeks. When the stem reaches 6-7 inches long, cut it back to 3 inches.
- When the steam gains leaves again and the roots are fairly thick, you should be able to plant in rich soil, with half the seed exposed.
- Make sure to continue watering, but don’t let it drown! Keep it in some sunlight and the plant should be forever happy.
- When the stem grows to 12 inches, cut it back to half this height as this will encourage new shoots to grow.
When the avocado sapling is a bit big for the pot, it will be able to go into the ground. Place it in good sunlight - avocados love sunbathing as an adult just like us. You won’t need to dig too deep a hole as the avocado plant is shallow-rooted.
All things aside, it does take a few years to see any of those green delights. If you grow from a seed, it can take anywhere from 5-13 years before the plant is able to produce avocados. It might seem like a long haul, but once they reach 5 years old, they can produce around 200-300 avocados….that’s about $1000-$1500 in today’s market!
And if you don’t end up wanting the avocados after all? They make a great side-of-the-road sale, especially in summer!
Avocados are definitely in fashion, and they will be for a long time to come. So get the shovel out and start making your own avocado plantation!